This is the view Zone 5 gets you. Just glad they don’t store us with the checked bags.
6 hours of audio books and knitting without having to tell anyone where the toilets and printer are? Vacation mode is ON.
Update from PDX: did this airport triple in size in the last 7 years? Christ. Found the baggage claim, got my bag, followed my phone map across the street, found a huge Uber lot instead of car rentals. A sign said “take the duck elevator to north tunnel and follow signs”. Found an elevator with a duck on it, pressed the tunnel button, and it spit me out into an office corridor and straight into a cluster of cops. Panicked. Looked for signs, didn’t see any, ran for it. Same cops were talking to a couple that had also just wandered off the duck elevator. They told us how to get to the rental cars, I rode back up with the couple, walked in the direction they pointed, and ran straight back into the same cops at the end of the garage. Shit, they can teleport. The big one patiently pointed to the pedestrian walkway. The other one was looking at me kind of hard, and I was suddenly worried I was loaded with drugs and weapons I didn’t know about.
Waiting in line for my car. My friend texted me to say she just got in a (minor, no-injuries) wreck and might not be able to go hiking tomorrow, so I guess that answers my question about how the traffic is here.
10 min later:
Lucky fuckers ahead of me got my Jetta, now I’m stuck in a Nissan Altima. Was really hoping to drive a car I was familiar with, oh well. Watch out, fellow drivers.
Update the last:
Made it to the farm with two big bags of Trader Joe’s groceries. Chatted with my host, ate dinner on the porch, then sat outside by an apple tree on a pile of wood palettes and watched night fall. There was a bright orange sliver of moon, and a row of cows watching me for signs of apples. Geese and ducks and hummingbirds. A bat swooped by. Silence except for crickets and a raptor somewhere in the trees. I started crying. Good grief. If anyone actually tries to touch me I’ll shatter into pieces.




Take a deep breath,relax and enjoy.It sounds great! I am surprised you are allowed knitting needles on a plane-or were they in your luggage?
ReplyDeleteThey really underestimate our lethal capabilities; knitting needles are allowed. I use circulars though, so I’d have to work harder to get an eye out.
ReplyDeleteLooks like I still can’t sleep. Might take a side quest to a dispensary. When in Rome, etc.
Allow yourself to see all that is and all that could be. I don't have the words to tell you how much I admire you for taking this step into new possibilities.
ReplyDelete