Monday, April 28, 2025

Day 5: Fraser Castle

We did the accidental Outlander tour of the Fraser and Lord Lovat estate yesterday, after 2 miles of walking through rolling pastoral land because the map app lied and said the bus stop was closer than it was.

It was a beautiful walk, even if I was on cold meds (UK cold meds are adorably mild compared to the meth in a bottle we sell in the US). 


We caught our breath over tea and scones, which came with a little packet of clotted cream and a tiny pot of jam. I made love eyes at the little bookshop in the courtyard and felt happy for all the people who could come tend the castle grounds for a living. What a life that would be.



The castle tour was centered on the towers, with about 5 stories of rooms and libraries up tightly winding staircases. 

Realizing there are practically no pictures of me on this trip, I’m trying



We walked into the field behind the castle to find the site of another James Giles painting from 1858. One of the ladies of the castle had removed the cow pond and cut down a lot of trees a few years later, but we found traces of where they were. 



In the afternoon we walked back, rode the bus to Aberdeen, and went to an Indian restaurant for our best meal of the trip so far. The owner of the flat sent an electrician to reattach the heater to the wall after it fell off and scared the hell out of us the other day, so we let him in and then warmed up the apartment for bedtime.

Today the man is off to Inverness. I baked a few frozen pain au chocolat to send him off (why do we not have frozen croissants at home?!), I have a pot of tea and a couple Murderbot audio books, and I am ready to get cooking on this painting. 

If I can decide which one to start with.


2 comments:

  1. THERE'S my scone and clotted cream. Thank you!
    You are a very strong and beautiful woman, by the way.
    I hope the painting is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this trip of yours!! Please , never leave! it suits you mo betta.

    ReplyDelete