It has been monsoon raining, turning the curvy downhill road to work into a white water river adventure. My kid went on a field trip to Honolulu with her class today, and hopefully they didn't have to get there by outrigger canoe. The dam reached spill point and flooded out the homeless encampment, but I haven't seen rescuers standing on the bridge with poles to fish out bodies, so they must have cleared out in time. If anyone has even checked. Half the island was stranded when Ka'a'awa flooded and shut down the only road to town, and my mother had to float her car across the bit where the ocean swamped the road, once the firemen were satisfied it had receded enough for a Honda to survive crossing. But do we get a snow day for all of this? NO, WE DO NOT. Somehow the power has stayed on, which means it's time for work, everyone.
Birds don't do well in a downpour. They get washed out of nests and crash into things with wet feathers. One of our homeless guys found a young cardinal who had been hit by a car and was flopping around in road puddles, so he put it in a box and sat with it at the library computer the entire day before showing me and asking if I knew any rehabbers. I took the box with the terrorized injured bird in it, and now I have to drive across the entire island to give it to the bird witch of the East (my mother). I hope he makes it.
Sorry, buddy, hang in there

Paradise will kill ya, I guess. Happens here in Florida all the time.
ReplyDeleteEish! It doesn't sound much better there than in SA. I do hope the Cardinal makes it!
ReplyDelete