Tuesday, December 20, 2022

like that guy from Memento, but with no note-taking system

Having an impaired short term memory might be more fun if it didn't come with the risk of burning the house down. And being pantsless when the fire department shows up because you started organizing wrapping paper halfway through getting dressed, and then went to put laundry in the washer and got distracted looking for chicken eggs. I wonder if now would be a good time to angle for a service dog.


nailed it
 
The Christmas Spirit got hold of me for a few minutes this weekend. It was not the good Spirit, though. It was the Christmas Spirit that tries to run over you in the parking lot. On Sunday, the man was having anxiety about elf pajamas. This is his family tradition, and he is in charge of it, but it got away from him this year, and there were no pajamas left anywhere, so I finally felt sorry for him and ditched the kids with my mother so we could drive to the "good" Target and see what they had. I had a moment at the checkout, watching the items add up on the register, looking around at everyone miserably pushing around carts full of garbage that will end up in a landfill, and I suddenly wanted to throw the pajamas at the cashier and run for my life.
 
But that is a cynical and unhelpful way to look at things. Get yourself home. Put the kettle on. Make (forget, burn) some cookies. Sit under a pile of pets. Everything is done for now. There are a lot of reasons why the holidays are hard for people, but we are here right now, and that's not nothing.


2 comments:

  1. "that's not nothing" sums it all up, I reckon. The photo, I thought "hmm interesting, baked socks" but I now see what you were trying to do. Actually baked socks are mo-betta, candy canes are so Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord. Well, sounds like my world only without the drive to Target. Besides all of this, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

    ReplyDelete