Saturday, July 18, 2020

Well, shit

Mjolnir has cancer. He’s only a year old,  he’s Gavin’s special guy - the tiny kitten he rescued from a roadside ditch next to the gruesome remains of a littermate. We’re going to do everything we can to save him. Gavin’s last special young cat, Astrid, died terribly of a blood clot. I can’t stand the thought of him losing another.


Finally reading a book I really connect with. Freezing cold, rural isolation, dangerous people in the darkness  - these are things I know about. I can feel this story in my bones. Pick up this one if you read Tolkien as a youth and are interested in winter survival stories.


Feeling sad and tense. I don’t really have anybody to talk to, and my notepad had to be put away. Spending my lunch breaks and early mornings in books right now, instead. It feels like a small existence. I’m grateful to have it, and worried about losing the security we’ve cultivated, but I’m lonely I guess. Should get outside and have a walk through the woods, maybe.

11 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Mjolnir's illness. Our pets are our family; know how hard it is.

    Read your blog all the time; never comment but I so enjoy the peak in your life. And your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I appreciate hearing from lurkers. It's quiet around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lurker who loves your paintings in progress and finished, and your life in exotic ;-) Hawaii, (I'm in Upstate NY).
    So sorry about Gavin's cat. That photograph makes him look quite otherworldly. I can see how he would be a big presence in a young man's life. Wishing you all good luck with his treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And, hey! We were supposed to be up at Lake George this summer. Upstate high-five.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about Mjolnir- as one who has recently been given the big c diagnosis- in the midst of Covid on top of it all- I know how upsetting it is for everyone concerned.I hope he can get treatment which will extend his life without taking away quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's terrible, and now is a terrible time to be going through treatment, I'm sorry.

      Delete
  5. Another lurker (and fellow artist/librarian). I am sorry about all of it- the loneliness, the heartache for you and your cat-loving child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's the library work scene in your area? I'm hearing that mainland libraries opening up have been closing almost immediately when patrons start deliberately coughing on the stacks.

      Delete
    2. We're in the midst of a major renovation (to bring our 120 year old building into ADA compliance), so we're doing curbside pickup. Practically this means that we're rooting around in boxes trying to find packed materials that are stacked to the heavens, then chucking them out to patrons (contactless, of course). We shut down in March due to COVID and we won't reopen to the public until the reno is complete (who knows when- supply chain issues are no joke). I am in VT and cases are very low at the moment, due in no small part to everyone shutting down. Most other libraries in my area are open to extremely limited browsing (like one person per 200 sq. feet) and sanitizing behind patrons is frazzling everyone. I'm happy that we're lending, but also happy to be closed to the public. I am also loving being barefoot in the library, and singing loudly, and working alone. Hope you're all hanging in there.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could hug Gavin. And you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, pets are tiny walking heartbreaks, but learning about death sitting is important, too.

      Delete