Monday, July 13, 2020

Roses and water

Finished the roses. Roses are okay. And it's a good thing I like painting dead ones, because they don't grow here, and the ones you can buy give up pretty quickly. I have a living stalk (stalk?) of a rose plant growing in the yard, but no idea how to coax it into making flowers. I have tried... well, almost nothing. But if I had, it would be dead, so I feel like I'm winning.



My drying corner is getting out of control. If I put them in the basement, the cockroaches lick them. And you can't get rid of the roaches because the basement opens up into the underside of the house, so you'd have to poison the entire outdoors to fix the problem. Or seal it off, which is beyond me. Last week I found rat dropping down there, and so I told off the cat for shirking his duties and left the studio door open (which, again, is kind of unnecessary, but I guess the cat is too lazy to crawl under the house to get into the studio), and now there are dead rats all over the yard, which I have to pick up every morning. The cucumbers and tomatoes were dug up by chickens, but we’ve got a bumper crop of dead rats. So that is going well.



Next on the goals checklist is a landscape. Decided to warm up to landscape painting by painting some water. Water is kind of like a landscape. I have definitely seen water in landscapes.


Kind of fun, and you don’t have to make it look like anything. No eyes to set too far apart, no perspective to get lopsided. Water is great, you just slosh it on wherever, nobody gives a shit. A+ painting subject.


Work went back to normal public hours, we lost half our staff, and now I'm on that chair for 8 hours a day. The chair has lost its novelty. I'm getting kind of attached to the day-glo vest, though.

yes, I've got that Patterson book for you

1 comment:

  1. You are lucky to have a cat to catch the rats. We had them below the floor in the upstairs section and they gnawed a hole in the pipe from the bath-which resulted in water all over the kitchen. After we had that fixed they moved into the roof and made loud gnawing sounds above our heads at 2 in the morning.I hated it,but let my husband put rat poison down which meant smelling dead rat for a few weeks. I wish we had an alternative- the poison is so cruel and if owls eat the dead rats they can be poisoned. The only other option to us would have been to hire a trap from the owl society which would have captured the rat/s alive and then they would have been fed to the owls. I guess it's time to move- we are getting too old for these problems.

    ReplyDelete