Saturday, March 21, 2020

Grounded

Got the call on Thursday that library staff needs to stay home, but "be available" (no day drinking or flying away to a bunker in Utah). I pulled out a bigger canvas to work on for a couple weeks.

On Friday I went out for milk, and the local grocery store was totally normal, except for the paper towel and pasta shelves. The music on the overhead radio paused long enough to mention the 9pm curfew starting that night, and everyone completely ignored it. It was weird that nobody noticed that things are weird.

The governor is tearing his hair out about all the people going to the beach and having cookouts, the line at Costco is still wrapping around the parking lot, the entire island of Kauai is closed, and residents on Molokai are standing around with protest signs at the airport. In my neighborhood, things look normal, but there has been some distant drunk screaming and whiffs of weed. I wonder how many people are going to be murdered by their domestic partners by the end of this.

Our house is busy and comfortable, with chickens to feed, yard work to do, renovations to work on, beer to brew. We've got fresh eggs and fresh bread. The kids have been choosing different workout videos to try in the evenings, and I feel like I've been beaten with a bag of rocks. Working on my post-apocalyptic battle physique, one 10-minute yogalates video at a time.

Over on instagram, artists are posting paintings of toilet paper and toaster ovens. "Paint the beauty in the things around you! Anything can be a painting!" So I painted a big dead cockroach.  I'm about to lose all the new followers I got with those cute cat paintings, I thought, and posted it anyway.


Sorry. Here is a chick.


Working on a larger painting of some dying gardenias from my garden. Withered flowers have more character. I appreciate the down time, but friends are getting sick, losing jobs, and my nonverbal cousin picked up an ominous fever from his group home and is back with my aunt now. I'm worried about a few people. But I'm not clicking on those articles on "how to survive being at home with your kids" (wine and video games LOL). Stop it, already.

2 comments:

  1. Having grown up in Florida where the state bird is the cockroach I can honestly say that you have completely and utterly captured the dead roach.
    Isn't it odd how all of us everywhere are going through the same things?
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one beautiful painting of a roach. Well done.

    ReplyDelete