Tuesday, December 12, 2017

still life with poisoned chickens

There was toast in my still life. Buttered toast. And yet my chickens broke into the studio while I was eating lunch, walked right past the toast, and chose instead to eat all the paint off my palette. Particularly worrisome: a big blob of titanium white, which I am pretty sure is not their natural prey. Also there were some smears of cadmium on there, and that shit is radioactive. I chased them out of the studio and called the vet, wanting to know if I should pump their stomachs or feed them bread or stuff them with charcoal or what. The vet assistant laughed at me and asked for pictures. Very helpful. In the end (after looking at the pictures, because of course I sent them pictures), the vet said they'd probably have to eat way more paint if they wanted to do themselves in properly. She's either saying my chickens are low achievers, or she's impressed by their garbage-digesting skills. Both, probably. They didn't fall out of the tree, dead, so I guess titanium really is their natural prey after all. I am withholding their pancakes and cookies until they apologize.

So my last hour of painting was consumed by veterinary freak-outs, and as a result my toast looks a little lower-contrast than I'd like, but I can fix that later. Along with the wonky rim. Round things are hard. But I like the tea bag.


Tea and toast, 6x6, oil on board

Detail:




No comments:

Post a Comment