It's been cold out, by tropical weenie standards, so the socks and sweaters have been dug out of the bottom drawers. Not finding any matching socks, I put on one that had llamas on it and one that looked like a banana, and I immediately slipped on the banana sock and fell over the ottoman. This would be a clever marketing gimmick on the part of the banana sock manufacturers if it weren't so risky; if they kill all their customers with slippery fiber blends then they won't get any repeat purchases. Points for murderous intent, though, banana sock.
The kids have really gotten into Munchkins, a role-playing card game, and in the evenings they wage battle with ducks of doom and plutonium dragons while I lay out mugs of cocoa and work on my comics. Part 1 is drawn, and the color is sloooow going. 29 pages to go (out of 50). I have just discovered that I can live stream my drawing sessions. People with insomnia who want to stare at someone coloring will have something to look forward to as I figure that thing out. I'll post a link on twitter if it ever comes to pass.
In this excerpt, the girls are discovering how truly crap their superpowers are, as Pupu turns money into meatballs with a typo, and Png realizes that partial invisibility actually lowers your inconspicuousness.
1. Don't let the light go out. Okay, this isn't about Christmas, but I'm an atheist so it doesn't matter. I celebrate folklore and history and the idea that the sun won't rise without a blood sacrifice. My favorite holiday songs are about falling to your knees in awe/fear and going from door to door begging for booze.
Light one candle for the strength that we need
To never become our own foe
And light one candle for those who are suffering
Pain we learned so long ago
Light one candle for all we believe in
That anger not tear us apart
And light one candle to find us together
With peace as the song in our hearts
Isn't that lovely? That is lovely.
2. Just go ahead and play the whole album. But skip the Night Before Christmas at the end. I think they made that one up as they were recording.
3. John Denver and the muppets, just for Miss Piggy scream-singing BADUMBUM at the end.
4... That's it? I really thought this would be a proper playlist, but it just skews off into Simon's Cat videos and episodes of the Twilight Zone (season 2, episode 11, Night of the Meek) after that. Pandora keeps trying to get me to listen to Blackmore's Night Christmas songs, but I'm NOT HAVING IT. Mostly I am just glad my kids have forgotten that the Chipmunks have a holiday album.
Recommendations welcome!


No comments:
Post a Comment