Observations on economy SNZZZZZ
We've been doing this thing at my mother's house for 14 years now, and back in '02-05, Halloween was a huge thumping block party with pyrotechnics and special deluxe prizes and full-sized candy bars snuck in among the treats. The decline of the economy from about 2006-2012 saw doors go dark as people lost their jobs, lost their homes, and couldn't afford candy to feed the hordes. The houses that hung in there gave out lollipops and pixie sticks with one bite-sized chocolate. Then about three years ago, doors opened back up. Lights came back on. New decorations started going up. The candy became fun-sized chocolates again. (And also pencils, because that one lady is REALLY DETERMINED that kids need pencils, and 14 years of sad faces hasn't deterred her.) This year was the first year that Halloween slammed it home again, and the kids came staggering through the door dragging more candy than they could lift. Christmas hasn't even gone full-saturation in the stores yet; it is waiting modestly as it should. These things are economic indicators: absurdly early Christmas displays are signs of desperation. Exuberant Halloweens are signs of vitality. Thumbs up for visible economic improvement.
So anyway
Saving their fancy costumes for trick-or-treating, the kids dug through the costume bin and grabbed easy accessories for school. Gavin, who's spirit animal is Roomba Cat, grabbed a toddler turtle costume, squeezed into the plush shell, and jammed the little bulging-eyed hat over his head.
When I picked him up after school, he flapped his hands in exasperation. "They asked if I was a frog. I'm wearing a giant puffy turtle shell and they asked if I was a frog. FROGS DON'T HAVE SHELLS. I'M CLEARLY A TEENAGE BOY CRAMMED INTO A TODDLER FROG COSTUME."
"Oh yeah," Leif agreed, "I wore a big furry buffalo hat and they thought I was a bear. Because of all those bears with GIANT HORNS."
I patted them on their heads. "Poor little public school urchins."
PICTURE DUMP. The power went out and my phone died, but my aunt got a hasty shot of us before that happened, so it is proof we still exist. The eldest cousin ditched the family in favor of playing video games with his future-reddit-troll friends, and the younger cousin failed to make himself barf, so the evening was pretty much perfect.
The teen in his winter coat, which he might be talked into shedding by Easter.
Dwarf with his favorite real-life possession: an old mallet from a garage sale. He sleeps with that thing, you guys. People thought he was dressed as a viking and called him by his actual name, which freaked him out.
Sweet little pirate who cut the neighbor girl's throat when she tried to bop her hat off.
I dressed in black. That was all.




No comments:
Post a Comment