Wednesday, January 01, 2014

the annual questions

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? I had a daughter, and ate a lobster hot dog.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? The theme was "lighten up", and that seemed to go well. I lost 30lbs, and only sent one snarky email - which was undermined by autocorrect changing "more" to "meow" without my noticing. This year, the theme is, "I am supportive of your endeavor!" Because I have found myself saying this a lot lately, and it usually ends in something interesting - homebrew competitions, dodgy car transactions, pie, crafting with underwear. When you've lost all control over your life, be a sidekick.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? ME. Some internet friends, too, but nobody knows if they are really real. Except them and their babies, probably.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No. Every year, nobody dies, and I feel grateful and somehow smug, then I fill with dread because it means we're in for a lot of it when it does start to happen. Even so, I think the family is very smart to save them up instead of spreading them out.

5. What places did you visit? Bellows Air Force Base - but just the beachy part with bbq grills. Also Maui, to meet the bio-Texans.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? My career.

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Giving birth is hard to forget. And my actual father was in attendance, and saw me do terrible things - but he works with old people and sees that kind of thing all the time, usually with much less adorable endings.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I published another book. And kept the kids alive. And didn't send any sentimental emails. 

9. What was your biggest failure? Asking for help. In that I didn't, and I should have, because I was desolate and alone a lot.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? My right wrist won't support weight, and I haven't gotten around to finding out why for, oh, three months now. Probably vestiges of postpartum hand numbness/shoulder locking/knee failure. And my heart has been doing that mis-beating thing a bit more.


11. What was the best thing you bought?  Jeans that fit.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Gavin's, for arriving at the year of voracious independent reading. He spent long days in bed with Harry Potter (leave it), curled up with his cat, and casting spells at his brother. And Leif learned to read in, like, 3 days. They are fantastic.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Mine. 

14. Where did most of your money go? Into another employee's bank account, because I'm not getting any.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The new baby. Even that was more of an intense love, not really excitement. I don't know if I still feel that kind of thing anymore.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010? That damn fox song. And this one:



17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier 
b) thinner or fatter? Much thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Neither.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Sleeping. Jogging. Wearing socks.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?  Having that recurring dream about gathering cats and losing everything I own. Burying birds.

20. How did you spend Christmas last year? Pregnant and full of egg nog. People talk shit about egg nog, but anyone with a desperate body knows what it's about.

21. Did you fall in love in 2013? Oh, yes. 




No, I didn't fall in love with a man. Grow up, quiz.


22. What was your favorite TV program? I caved and watched Breaking Bad. Fine, I get it now.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2013? Bbq and Hunger Games at the mall. I was the victor.

24. What was the best book you read? Spent most of the year reading the Game of Thrones series. Enjoyed it, even though George R. R. Martin doesn't know how vaginas and albinos work.

25. What did you want and get? A daughter. A visit from my father. Pants with buttons instead of elastic. Sock yarn. I tried not to want much, after the healthy baby, for fear of being smited.

26. What did you want and not get? Showers. The better question is, what did you NOT want and get? A murdered bird, a large dentist bill, and lots of vomit/poo on my person.

27. What was your favorite film of this year? Frozen? Oh, dear.

28. Did you make some new friends this year? Nope. Made notable acquaintances, at least.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I'm going with "fist fight" again. They know who they are. 

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? "My mom's old pants". Postpartum fashion is not so great.

31. What kept you sane? Routine and reading. It didn't work all the time. 

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I didn't feel fancy at all. Am a withered husk. I did like Jamie and Brienne, though.



33. What political issue stirred you the most? Sexism. Particularly in the baby clothes aisles and toy sections. There isn't anything wrong with pink, but everything wrong with having no other goddamn choices.  

34. Who did you miss? Oh, the very same. Just as much. 

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013. Don't go out of your way to be fair to particular people, just try not to be unfair as they make themselves involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment