our pocket-courthouse
I was promised throngs of onlookers hanging in the windows to hear salacious details and clutch their pearls in delighted shock, so I dressed the part with a sun dress and heels. Sadly, the rain discouraged entertainment-seekers, and the judge took a look at the subject, then delayed our case to the very end so that the gossipy onlookers got hungry and went home. For four hours, I knitted a sock and threatened to smack flirtatious child-support delinquents with my rolled up legal papers.
I kept my statement simple, and didn't cross-examine anyone or make a closing argument because I didn't know how. My stalker brought forms and notes and a computer, and interrupted everyone until the judge threatened her with contempt of court. I was granted a 1-year restraining order (I could have asked for a 3-year, but I am still willfully optimistic about people) and she left calling, "I want to appeal!" Because, evidently, harassing librarians at their homes is VERY important.
As predictably and simply as it played out, my heart still hammered in my chest like a scared rabbit while I sat in the little witness chair. I was already feeling weak and trembly from not having eaten all day, so I gave my shitty knees a good mental telling-off while getting down from the stand, in case they decided to collapse and complete the picture of Poor Fragile Librarian. They did not, and were rewarded with a premature bottle of Easter champagne. Blood pressure/sugar problems solved.
stink-ass ho

I want your dress! And way to go :)
ReplyDeleteand after our recent spring break trip to kauai, i also want to be a librarian in hawaii. i kept thinking of you - i saw Maile and the Huli Hula Chicken everywhere we went :)
ReplyDeleteWhy does this woman stalk you?
ReplyDeleteI work with her husband, and she thinks if she pops up at the window or shows up at my house enough, she'll catch us DOING IT. Because as everyone knows, if a man and a woman talk to one another in a work setting, it means they are having an affair. (Spoiler: we are not, and never have.)
ReplyDeleteyou look fabulous and I feel really sorry for that guy...obviously, he does need a new mate.
ReplyDelete