Long weekend. I dragged out the mower and chewed paths through the tall grass, kicking off my pants when it got too hot and impressing the mongooses with my Led Zeppelin undercrackers. We went to a kiddie party, and saw a naked mountain hermit lady lope across the driveway like a pink sasquatch. The power went out all day yesterday, and I took a page from the naked hermit and sunned my no-no bits in the back yard all afternoon while the infink splashed in his paddling pool. We ate Thai food in town, knocked papayas from our trees, collected lilikoi, then made green papaya salad and grilled pork chops with homemade passion fruit and tomatillo salsa. I knitted a hat. We played rummy by the light of the oil lamp and drank home-brewed Hefeweisen.
It was a golden, gorgeous weekend.
And this morning the power came back on, the email buzzed, and the man got his lay-off notice from his company in New York. There is much flailing and phone calling and shoulder-weeping going on today.
I really don't know what we're going to do.
I'm so sorry. I wish I was there to lend a shoulder for weeping. I'm thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteThanks, you guys. Things are starting to take form. It looks like we're in for a move, one way or another. I want to kiss every baby avocado on our tree.
ReplyDeleteOne thing is decided, at least - nonrefundable tickets mean the trip to NY is still on for September! I am going to cry on everyone who will hold still long enough! It's a wedding, nobody will notice.
Oh, boy. I hope everything works out for the best.
ReplyDelete