Friday, March 25, 2011

cake in a cup

G. sent me this recipe - oh, 3 months ago or something like that, and I have just now gotten around to making it. 

I will never be the same. 

Everything was in the cupboard. The kids were absorbed in things other than me. So I went into the kitchen, dumped the ingredients into my favorite mug, gave it a stir with a fork, stuck the cup in the microwave for 2 minutes, and leaned back to watch it skeptically. I know how to bake, and this is not baking. This is goo in a cup. I expected it to explode or bubble into a greasy lump at the bottom of the cup, but that did not happen. It rose up like a jousting Peep, and the man came skidding in to make greedy fingers as I pulled it out. We dumped some caramel whiskey sauce from our last batch of bread pudding over it and ate it at the counter. CAKE IN A CUP.

Go get a mug and make yourself some cake right now.





G's Microwave Cake In A Coffee Mug

Time 5 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients

1 large coffee mug
4 tablespoons plain flour (do not use self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
dash o' salt
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
Small splash of vanilla
Chocolate syrup (optional)
Whipped topping (optional)

How to make it


Add dry ingredients to mug; mix well .
Add egg; mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add chocolate chips (if using), vanilla, mix again.
Set mug in the microwave; cook for 2½ to 3 min at 1,000 watts.
Cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Some report that 2½ minutes works best. It depends upon your microwave. So, watch carefully to not over do it!
Remove from microwave.
Allow cake to cool a little, then tip out onto a plate, if desired. [or eat with spoon in front of microwave]
Drizzle with chocolate syrup and top with whipped topping, if desired!
This can serve 2 if you care to share!

2 comments:

  1. I just made it. Satisfying after a fail at soap-making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fact: this also makes a good substitution for dinner if the kids are at their friends' house for the evening. I substituted coconut milk and and threw in a banana yesterday. Instant breakfast! Will never need to cook anything else, ever again.

    ReplyDelete