
But I'm sick with a retro photo app, so also tragically hip.
The weekend was wonderful, sickness aside. And despite the fact that no wild fantasies of unbridled materialism actually happened. The samples of handcrafted marshmallows at Williams-Sonoma go uneaten until next visit.
Saturday: dragged to the university to help my mom invest her wax sculpture in plaster for the bronze pour. Put on a pink gas mask and mixed lung-destroying substances, spent some time admiring the graffiti in the women's bathroom. Between the flowers and positive affirmations, someone had drawn a penis and hairy balls, which was followed by half a wall of disappointed remarks and suggestions for art and literature courses to improve the peen-doodler's creative range.
In the evening, we went to the store to buy candy and a pumpkin; stood for 10 minutes talking shit about the other's candy preferences, then turned around and realized that the ONLY PUMPKIN IN THE STORE was sitting on a display right behind us, just waiting for someone else to walk by and pick it up. We tackled it.
Sunday: lunch at Gordon Biersch. I had lobster bisque, because I am fancy like that.

Fanciness undermined by kiddie menu octopuses, as usual.
We went to the Edward Gorey exhibition at the university, where Gavin scored some candy because he had insisted on wearing his getup all day and accidentally wandered into the costume contest at the right moment. My favorite was the toddler dressed as "K is for Kate, who was struck with an axe", with tiny bloodstained shirt and plastic axe sticking out her back.

Which, awesome as the costume was, I would flat-out be unable to do to my infant without barfing.
Hurried home to carve the pumpkin, throw up some streamers, bake some pizza, and dump the kids into costumes.
Leif wasn't having any of it. We managed to get him into hat and pants and take the picture before he ripped it all off.

He eventually figured out what was going on and began running up the sidewalk after the big boys and shrieking, "TEET TEET!" at every door. He's advanced like that.
The cousins were great in their matching outfits, and some Potter-loving neighbor snuck special fancy-ass pewter HP bookmarks into their buckets, which made them all aspirate their pixie sticks when they were discovered.

I went in my traditional role of Tired Old Tart.

Mike went as a vampire in a long women's wig. I did not take a picture of him. Shamelessness is great - Mike in that wig was not.
When all the children were dumping candy on the floor and the crowds of kids turned to trickles of self-conscious teenagers, my mom gave me two margaritas and then asked me to wrap up the pumpkin in plastic. I managed not to wrap any cats or children to it, so I was pleased with myself.

And then my lungs tried to escape my body via my nose.
Back to the couch I go.
The Harry Potter group is effing adorable. Feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteWhy do you wrap it in plastic? "K is for Kate, who was struck with an axe" is utterly amazing. I'm so glad you took a photo of that.
ReplyDeleteHumidity and critters. We left ours out one night and found it covered in fungus fur the next morning; my coworker left hers out and opened it up to find two rats looking up at her. The Easter bunny has a hell of a time, I tell you what.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm. I love the K is for Kate. I love the plastic-wrap (mine needs to be insulated, because the pumpkins freeze and melt to goo o'ernight here). And what is up with those skinny ass jeans?????? Is it the wig? Is that the secret?
ReplyDeleteahh, Canadaland! I remember being very mad at my mom when she made me wear my snow suit over my witch ensemble to go trick-or-treating in the night-flurries. She said I could wear my dress and tights over the suit if I wanted, and that was the end of the argument.
ReplyDeleteAerial photography and distracting head gear is crucial. The thighs were sucking it in there, and have let themselves out all over the couch in a litter of candy wrappers for the last 3 days. Will subside on pumpkin and guilt to get them back in the pants by this weekend. Bah.