I parked by the court house across from the Wailuku library and shook a warning finger at the car, whose front window is still stuck open, tempting stray cats/vagrants/mayoral candidates. As soon as I stepped in, the other librarians turned and yelled, "WE DIDN'T KNOW YOU'RE AN ILLUSTRATOR!" and I froze in a defensive semi-crouch. They were adorable, owling up at me (I am a towering giant in the land of librarians), but I never know what to say when people want to talk about art. I like doing it, but I don't actually think I'm very good at it. I grin and nod like a big dumb nodding thing and then pretend to have something in my eye and run away. Which is why I will never be rich and powerful and crush that Plumeria Princess guy, who still doesn't know he's my nemesis. In this case, I chose to yawn, exclaim, "oh man, I have to PEE," and then book it for the restroom. Smooth.
Two hours later, we had all learned how to click things on the internet, and I ran out to discover that the car had a yellow ticket stuck under its wiper. The pigeons didn't laugh at my yelps of, "Help, help! I'm being repressed!" so I threw the ticket onto the floor, drove over to throw some delivery boxes out at the main branch, ran some official-type errands, and finally found myself sitting in the food court at the mall with a bowl of mushroom chicken. Decided this was the perfect time to explore the new iPhone. Didn't like the tiny buttons. Didn't like the tiny screen. Took a bunch of blurry pictures of my hands and knees. Didn't have anything I wanted to do on the internet. Became very sad. This would have been the sort of thing I'd have done handstands for at one time, but no texts have buzzed my hip for more than 3 years, and somewhere along the line I lost my phone and didn't realize it for about a month. It's the end of an era, and the beginning of a new, higher-waisted, reading-at-arm's-length one.
Why I crop my head out of most of my pictures. More from me when the week stops kicking my ass.
Wait - so did you get any sexy boots??
ReplyDeleteI did! Went to Macys and scowled at the $70 boots (am not opposed to forking over money for quality shoes, but they have to make me squee first), went to the shoe store and frowned at the aisles of fraudulent butt-shaping shoes and NO BOOTS, and finally skulked away with a pair of alluring brown mid-calf lovelies at Ross for $22. This has set off a whole new set of body issues, as people seem to feel the need to speculate about my legs when commenting on the footwear. I have been both fat and thin, and I can say flatly that it doesn't matter what the hell shape you're in - people make exactly the same frequency of comments, regardless.
ReplyDeleteWill post pictures of the boots this evening, along with the WTF Garden Cardigan.