Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"I'm gonna hit you on the head, ok?"

There's something about rolling in the grass on summer evenings. Gavin got tired of sitting in Volcano Joe's and ran outside onto the lawn. He lobbed an imaginary ball at my head and I fell over dramatically, clutching my eye. A moth distracted him, and he ran across the grass after it, laughing, while I propped myself on my elbows and enjoyed the scene. College boys crowded on the deck, smoking cloves and cigarettes in the lamp light while one of the open mic guys rehearsed the blues on a steel guitar. Inside the cafe, I could see Mike thrashing away at his guitar. Gavin rolled up next to me and told me to lay on his tummy. We stared up at the twilight sky and pointed at stars and helicopters until he started giggling and bobbed my head off onto the grass. Nice evening.

The newspaper has been running columns all week on fighting fraud and financial abuse against seniors. The articles have a little logo of an elderly silhouette with a cane, and the title "Falling Prey". Ha ha.

In other news 

I was initiated into the national honor society for librarians this Sunday. There was not even a secret handshake. Disappointing.

2 comments:

  1. It's a Taylor Holly. A Taylor. Not a Gibson. Oh the humanity. lol. Rolling on the grass with Gavin was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but it is a guitar, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete