All by myself. Well, and my mother and Gavin. Mike flew away into the night, off to New York on his adventure. Gavin slept soundly, barely twitching, while I rolled across the empty side of the bed, so happy to take advantage of the room that I wasn't able to get comfortable.
Gavin tossed apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes into our basket while we were at the store looking for cupcake sprinkles. It is my policy to buy whatever produce he asks for, so I unloaded the pile of fruit at the register with a shrug. We shredded up a whole bag of carrots and made carrot cake cupcakes, smeared with cream cheese frosting. Gavin decorated them with layers of multi-colored sugar balls, and we each ate one. I sat on the bench at the empty park and read my book ("Airborn", by Kenneth Oppel) while Gavin played on the jungle gyms and rolled his trains down the slides. We stuffed ourselves into our tiny tub and washed off the playground dirt, then sat around watching cartoons until dinner. My mother came home and dismantled the DVD player, retrieving the paperclip Gavin poked inside. After dinner, the boy fell asleep on the couch under a blanket while my mother and I drank tea. My cousin and aunt arrived. The kids are eating grapes and cupcakes, I refilled the teapot with English toffee tea. Very domestic.
I'd like to have some adventure too, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment