Last night we went with my aunt to the dreaded Walmart to hunt for a Little People Enchanted Castle play set for Chris. I bypassed my boycott by thinking that I needn't actually buy anything there. Unfortunately, there were a lot of inexpensive toddler toys just right for Gavin, and I broke down and spent $40 on a wooden train set, pack of Play Doh, set of plastic pots and pans, and box of die cast cars. And a sparkling tacky tinsel light-up tree topper for our new (fake) tree. Oh, well. I will do better in the future. Embarrassing.
I curled up in bed with Gavin and fell asleep with happy dreams. I dreamed that I saw an old friend again after these many years, and I wrapped my arms around him and kissed his lips, just happy to see him again. Maybe some day I really will.
In the morning, we stared hatefully out the window at the noisy neighbor children, then hopped into my mother's new VW Beetle and zoomed over to Costco to join the pre-Thanksgiving crowd. Gavin wanted every free sample, particularly enjoying the slices of honey-glazed ham. After sitting down to share a frozen yogurt, I was unhappy to hear my mother say she wanted to return to Walmart for a set of seat covers for her car. Fortunately, I left the ATM card at home with Mike, so all I could do was look at the toddler pajama sets and potty seats. Walmart will not get the better of me, despite the allure of cheap crap.
Returning home, I saw that Mike had already left to attend the RSCDS board meeting. I sighed, knowing our afternoon date to see Bridget Jones wasn't going to happen. The poor guy is getting burnt out. We need to see each other soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment