Saturday, July 10, 2004

Attacking the kitchen

Today we started some renovations. Mike got up bright and early to haul our old couch to the dump and pick up a new TV stand - one made from wood rather than particle board. He was supposed to return with a borrowed table saw, but failed, as his friend was not home. Instead, he ripped off the cupboard doors while my mother and I drove into town to buy paint.

In the middle of all this, my aunt dropped by with my small cousin, Chris. I had a very unpleasant few hours of barking orders and physically restraining the boys as they hit, pushed, kicked, wrestled over toys, and lobbed rocks at each other. Gavin decided that if Chris could screech like a Nazgul, he could, too. Charming. Most of it was still on Chris' side. He is so relentless with his boundary-pushing that Gavin started getting overlooked while I was busy yelling, "Chris, no! Put that down, Chris! No throwing, Chris! I said NO! Chris, you get back here!" And what do children do to get attention if all the focus is on the rotten kid? They behave rotten as well. It's a horrible cycle, and I dread it when my aunt comes over with Chris. I would really like to have warmer feelings for my cousin, instead of restraining the urge to punt him. (On a side note, my aunt bragged about how he's talking in full sentences and having conversations now, and he demonstrated his brilliance by yelling "buh-buh!" a hundred times while running in circles.)

So tomorrow we paint the kitchen. I emptied out the pounds of plastic grocery bags we had guiltily stowed under the sink, and I donated them to the supermarket recycle bin, with a few giant roaches thrown in for good measure. The purging feels good, and already the living room looks so much better without the Dreaded Orange Couch and with a proper piece of furniture for the TV and stereo. Gavin expressed his appreciation of the arrangement by dragging down some couch pillows and lounging naked on the floor. 

Peace again.

No comments:

Post a Comment