Monday, March 09, 2026

Learning is hard

I took down my thoughts on love because events transpired over the weekend that refreshed my cynicism like a cup of Waffle House coffee. 

The song can stay, though.



Right after declaring sleep delicious, I stood on the chairs in the studio to change the lights and then washed the upholstery with a salt solution to get the old stains out - using a wet cloth, and bare hands - and I poisoned myself with nicotine AGAIN.

Who needs sleep anyway? The clocks jumped forward an hour and it was perfectly fine getting up half an hour early and roaming the house at 4:30am. There is a fluffy white cat that visits the porch at that hour. There are no strays in this climate, so it is probably my neighbor’s cat - and I would definitely not try to steal my neighbor’s cat. Definitely not, I agreed to myself, putting a handful of the ravens’ cat kibble out for it.

My cousin gave me detailed instructions for fixing the dangling bare lightbulb over the urinal that is wired in through two walls, so I am learning how to install Romex connectors this week. Then, while dragging branches from a fallen tree into a pile in the yard, I found a fancy pillar lantern that is cracked in two and hanging over the fence. It still has lightbulbs in it, and I have no idea which switch is even supposed to operate it, so I guess I’m getting a voltage meter, too. All of this, and still no beard. The injustice.

I have been knitting doilies, for Reasons. One of them got out of control and I had to switch colors, because all I have is a pile of tiny dollar store skeins, and I hate the muddy rainbow effect on it but it was too much work to rip out, so I am stuck with it. Maybe I can soak it and leave it outside to dry, so it freezes into a deadly circular saw of ice to frisbee at the neighbors when they come to find their cat. 


Tomorrow is pay day, finally. The girl turns 13 next week, and I’ll be able to pick up baking chocolate and cake pans for her birthday. St Patrick’s Day is an observed holiday over here, so she is feeling pretty fancy and important. I’m going to try to make it a good one for her.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty easy to be cynical about love. Or love-adjacent stuff. Both. All.
    Don't worry. You'll be getting your beard after the menopause sets in. You have that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still so annoyed at my doctor for running all those tests and coming back to tell me I’m still a card-carrying child-bearing woman in full hormonal bloom. Lady I am 46 years old, take these fucking pheromones away and give me my DGAF superpowers and a luscious beard! Goddamn.

    ReplyDelete