It was a short visit, as ER trips go, and after an hour Mike came out with the girl in his arms, still barefoot from hanging out in the yard eating lychees when the foot race accident happened. Zenny was laughing with shock, holding two stuffed toys the nurses gave her, along with a biohazard bag containing a bloody roofing nail. She’s doing fine now, medicated and sitting on the couch watching cartoons with her foot wrapped up like a football. We’ve learned that she reacts to injury like a character in a 19th century novel, covering her face and sobbing, “I can’t bear it! I’m going to die!” before fainting. This poor kid, my heart hurts.
5 minutes before the incident. Somewhere in the leaves on the left side,
a stray roofing nail waited for two years to find her foot.
Now Mike and I are both side-eyeing each other because we’ve almost definitely been exposed to the virus, but there isn’t anything we can do about it unless the contact tracers call to confirm it and refer us for testing. Will consult our regular doctor today when we call for her follow-up.
Stuffed poi pounder that squeaks when you bop it, courtesy of Wahiawa General
This year.



I am so sorry this happened. There are just no words.
ReplyDeleteOh god. I know all's well that ends well but sometimes that still doesn't make it okay. Bless her little heart and tiny footsie.
ReplyDeletePoor Zenny. At least it was not her head this time.
ReplyDeleteJulia
Not a nice experience for any of you,get better soon,Zenny
ReplyDelete