Feeling scraped thin and sad again, and the nightmares are back, so I lined up all my vitamin bottles next to the coffee maker and put my rain coat on for a nighttime walk. Vitamins and walking aren't going to solve the busy schedule of doctor appointments, work problems, family events, and school obligations, but maybe they'll help the little heart-rate monitor on my watch go back to a steady rhythm.
Someone come and pitch me out of the building, I need a day off.
Go take a nap!
The youngest aunt & family came to visit from Canadaland, and we all ate wheat- meat- sugar- peanut- citrus- oat- garlic-free foods (ok, I had a Guinness) while she told stories about living in a house so cold their socks froze to the floor with every step, and about a neighbor who panicked during a Chinook and tried to shoot the wind, but shot their house, instead (with them inside it). The teenage cousins filled the living room, laughing about memes, playing minecraft music on the piano, and screaming, "WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT JUSTIN TRUDEAU AGAIN?" The youths have big opinions about Canadian environmental politics, but can't argue the fact that Trudeau's beard is very handsome.
Trudeau has a beard - YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID
It was wonderful to see them again, and really weird to be around so many incarnations of my own face. Sorry, kids, I blamed the in-laws, but that forehead is all ours.
I've been half-reading a lot of books on my lunch break and tossing them aside. I keep getting attracted to complicated, gritty, epic novels, and what I probably need is some satisfyingly quick garbage to tear through until things settle down. Anybody read anything good entertaining lately?
kids not pictured were in the kitchen, snuffling out all the chocolate chip cookies I had hidden



Ummm... A friend tells me that anything by Joshilyn Jackson is probably pretty satisfying and entertaining.
ReplyDeleteFor stress relief or escapism, Georgette Heyer regency romances. Frederica and Cotillion are 2 of my favorites. Also John Sanford novels although they tend to be bloody. So escapism but not relaxing.
ReplyDeleteJulia
The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith -I enjoyed very much,a novel dealing with art forgery and Dutch period paintings or- Four Seasons in Rome by Anthony Doerr,How he and his wife and 6 month old twins moved to Rome for a year without knowing anything about living in Italy- or Youngson,Anne- Meet me at the Museum- letters between a farmer's wife and a man who works in a museum in Denmark (?)and how their friendship grows.And there's always Michael Robotham Thrillers..
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone! I'm making a queue. I finally picked up the first Witcher book and it's very good, but I keep falling asleep while reading it in bed. Normally I read a chapter and turn my kindle off and go to sleep, but this one is hitting me like a frying pan and dropping me off in the middle of a paragraph. It's not even boring, I think it feels so comfortable my brain just takes it and runs.
ReplyDelete