Sunday, October 09, 2016

End of Week 1

Here is how the inktober project is coming along so far. For daily updates, see the ongoing inktober post.


This has been a good thing to work on. The internet is a shit-show right now, and a body has to pull back, put on some music, and make something with their hands to give their brain a chance to recover from the repeated stabs. Draw something. Build something. Repair something. Strangle something. I'm going to get a sharp knife and julienne a few hundred strips of lime peel with my mother today and come home with jars of marmalade. The kids visit grandma every weekend, and while they are outside playing with the neighbor kids and their cousins, we tell stories over iced tea or Guinness until the stressful bits of the week dry up and fall off. These are the days we will tear a hole through time to get back to some day. I still wonder and wish that things had turned out differently in some ways - that I had been braver or stronger or less foolish - but things are good and fine right now. Especially if I stick to the women in my family and stay industrious.

I haven't posted the comic progress lately, but I'm 60 pages in now, and I love it a lot. I'm making efforts to step out of my comfort bubble and form online connections with other local comic artists so I can join the real-life scene. I'll post something soon.


2 comments:

  1. I've been gone..or rather my computer went, and it took a while to recover. And now I think I have read everything I missed.
    Lovely dress! have you been to the opera yet? What did you see? What is a bag of holding?
    That bug (millipede?) is as big as the chickens. Ugh.
    I saw the book pictures. Excellent choices! Have you started any of them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Boheme, this coming Friday! I have shoes and everything. We will be very fancy for about 3 hours. A bag of holding is an imaginary bag that Dungeons and Dragons players cram all their crap into. My kids have bones and weapons and junk in theirs, but I am very lazy and uninteresting.

    I haven't had a chance to read the books yet, they are languishing shamefully in a pile on my desk. I've been watching Luke Cage on Netflix for an hour and then collapsing into bed. Need more time in the day.

    I got carried away with that centipede, but they really are enormous. Like the length of your forearm. I'll balance it out with some toads and rats.

    ReplyDelete