Insider trivia, if there is such a thing at this stage: Pupu is left-handed. All the cool people are, you know.
(I'm not.)
Again, text is just slapped in there on its own layer, temporarily. I think I'm going to push the pidgin into full hard-to-read slang, like Scottish brogue. She'll be expressive, so its ok if mainland readers miss some of what she's saying.
On Pupu's name: Punahele is a very common first name. Pua is a common last name. That's a lot of Pu in a name, so she gets called Pupu affectionately. "Pupu" means "snack" or "appetizer". Nobody notices that they're calling her "Poops" for short, because in their heads they're saying "PU-ps", but I'm spelling it phoenetically because it's easier to read and funnier. Because poop. Png hears it as Poop because her parents are from Oregon and she doesn't speak Hawaiian.




No comments:
Post a Comment