My down time is interrupted every few minutes, which is why I have projects I can pick up and put down throughout the day. Since I can't knit until I get a budget for safe yarn, I decided to dig in my fabric drawer and give Hawaiian quilting a try, since I'm in Hawaii and all. But I wanted something fun, so I made a mushroom pattern instead of a floral one. I knew this could potentially look like a pile of dicks, but I went for it.
Oh no.
So I've got some wieners to prune.
Mushrooms aside, I have discovered that this process is absolutely perfect for me. (I may change my mind about this after spending 80 hours stitching echo lines for a 2-foot square pillow.) It's inspiring, meditative, satisfying, portable. There is a world of possibility - anything that can be cut from paper like a snowflake can be used in Hawaiian quilting, and now I want pillows and blankets for all my favorite books - snitches, mandrakes, and hipogriffs; roses and gunslinger revolvers; standing stones, heather, and daggers. In better colors than the remnants in my stash. And less wieners. I'm learning here.
*characterized by a constant wet cough accompanied by skipping, singing, and stick swordplay. He is one of those sick people you have to tape to the couch to force them to heal.

No comments:
Post a Comment