Early morning. Pulled a shard of glass from my foot in the kitchen, sighed at my coffee pot because I was out of sweetener, and sat down with a sliced banana for the infink to watch cartoons in our jammies. A truck roared by. A dog screamed. I looked out to see our neighbor's mama-dog tumble and crumple on the roadside in front of us. Leaped up, yelling for the man. He jerked awake and yanked on his shorts as I scooped the infink onto my hip. The man ran to the road and I ran to the neighbor's house. The dog died as Mike held her. He walked down with her in his arms, the neighbor cried out, and the puppies are without a mother.
After she had gone to bury her companion, I propped a handwritten card against the angel statue on her step. Felt helpless and ineffectual.
Sad, horrible morning.
But you know what? You cared and that's more than that horrible truck driver did. And your neighbor will remember you did that for her. And she will remember that you did that for her when you (probably) didn't know her that well yet... So there.
ReplyDeleteOh, thank you. It's so upsetting. They didn't even slow down. She was just snoozing on the roadside - on the far side, even. They had to have crossed the median to hit the dog.
ReplyDeleteWe just met her a few days ago, but our neighbor is so sweet. Nobody should have to pick their dog off the road. Mike handled it really well, he gets some serious gold stars today.
Oh that is so awful and sad :( I am so sorry that happened.
ReplyDeleteHe will get what's coming to him. So sad for the Mama, pups and kind neighbours...I really hope everything gets much better soon :)
ReplyDeleteThis makes my heart hurt. (And is my biggest fear.) I'm so sorry you had to go through this but kudos to you and Mike - that's aloha right there, my friends.
ReplyDelete