Friday, September 12, 2008

The only event of the week

ring ring
"Hello, tiny rural Hawaiian library, this is Harpy speaking."
"Hi, do you have a laminator I can use?"
"Sorry, we don't have one for public use."
"Would it help if I said I was a cop?"
"Are you a cop?"
"Yeah."
"Well then, yeah."

And so I spent a nice half an hour in the dank production room getting to know Officer Skippy*. We poked at the ancient behemoth of a laminator, rattled the knobs, jabbed the buttons, managed not to catch it on fire, and got the guy's permit thing plasticized all nice and pretty. While waiting for the machine to heat up, I learned: we have 8 cops, and no dogs. The police firing range is up the road from my house (suspicious that this is just a pasture with paper targets tacked to hay bales - hopefully not cows). And the firemen use the jet skis to go fishing and drinking. (Which is to say, my guess that the firemen use the jet skis to go fishing and drinking was not denied.)

After shutting down Bessie the Laminator and waving goodbye to Skippy, my co-worker came back from break, listened to my retelling, smiled, and pulled out a tiny, cute little card laminator from our supply shelf. "Next time you can just use this one." Damn it.


In other news, I finally finished my dummy book. Scribbled the last thumbnail this morning.


In other other news, I finally read the credits on Bones, figured out that the show is based on a book series by Kathy Reichs, discovered that we had 13 of them at work, and yanked them all off the shelf like Christmas presents. This will keep me busy until I figure out how to pirate episodes of Trueblood.

Am currently reading: Grave Secrets, by Kathy Reichs, and Fray, by Joss Whedon.

*name changed to protect dignity

No comments:

Post a Comment