I have started listening to NPR at work. I would listen to audio books, but we don't have a tape player, of all things. There's something for my collection development lists. I feel very smart taping barcodes onto books while listening to people rant about social issues on the radio. I finished reading "how i live now", last year's Printz award winner, and it was wonderful. I thought about it while I was looking through the ALA conference schedule, wishing I could justify going for the weekend and attend the "so you want to be a book reviewer" lecture. I wonder if I could score free books for my library while developing a reputation as a reviewer for library journals... something to look into.
I spent some of my royalties on a really cool and enormous hand-carved mirror from Pier 1. I stood staring lovingly at it for 20 minutes before Mike said to just get it. I have a hard time buying big things for myself. I can see it hanging in our own little tin-roof shack some day. I guess I have come to terms with Hawaii, and for the first time in my life the thought of moving to the mainland makes me sad. We may have to live in a tin-roof shack for the cost of a mansion in Texas, but it comes with the weather and the misty mountains.
Those Pier 1 mirrors are awesome. But watch out! Mark and I have one and it turned out to be infested with little (undetectable) termites. If it weren't for the tiny holes and the little piles of frass that kept building up around the mirror, we wouldn't have known... We eventually got it treated... but it was such a pain to drag that big thing to a place that treated individual pieces of furniture... The frass piles stopped, but now our pretty mirror has all these little holes in its frame...
ReplyDeleteeek! Better not be. We just got tented.
ReplyDeleteI like the word frass. I think I can apply it to my cats.