Thursday, January 19, 2006

My own private rainbow

Apparently, some popular tv show last week featured a guy who decided that he didn't want to have a vasectomy because, should something happen to his family, he would want to have a backup wife and children at some point. The radio DJs were angry, yapping for twenty minutes about the horrors of spouses imagining life after their mates. Well, I also have a back-up plan. It is not uncommon. If Mike meets a gruesome fate, I will become a nun and plant tomatoes all day in Eastern Europe while Gavin moons around in the abbey windows with a french novel and dreams of running off with the scullery maid.

I flipped stations. Things got worse. Coldplay crooned miserably about wanting to fix me. I drove by a dead kitten in the road. Normally, I avert my eyes, but it was dark and I looked in its face as my headlights swept by, and I nearly cried. The radio DJs had stopped yammering and ironically played American Idiot as I pulled up to the school. The sky was icy blue and my legs were chilly as limped across the gravel because I stepped on a bee last night. 

After only 6 hours of sleep, I was looking forward to opening my new box of Yogi tea when I got to the staff snack area. Peach redbush chai. As I took a nice deep sniff of the hot tea, a fat brown cockroach twirled gracefully to the surface. I dumped it down the drain and went back to the library.

Unflagging optimism. Each day as I drive home from work through the Misty Mountains, a small rainbow forms over me. It curves from one side of the highway to the other, coloring the guard rails. As I drive out of the tunnel, the sun cuts over the mountains and lights up the mist in the valley. That's worth a few cockroaches in my tea.

5 comments:

  1. Every evening, after I step out of class and pass a light post, at least one or two lights go out. When I drive past light posts, sometimes those go out too. ooohh... scary. I think I'm somehow tapping & zapping the energy source of these light posts to keep on keepin' on...

    So that's my rainbow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Didn't something like that happen in Harry Potter? Dumbledore made all the streetlights on Privet Drive go out, with a pop?


    Oh lord, I'm a geek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that said, we musn't ever allow Marie to have an invisibility cloak. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dudes, I only have a vague idea of what you're both talking about. (I only read the first Harry Potter.) :-)

    But Dumbledore is the cool, old guy, right? The headmaster?

    If so... awesome. I like to think I have some magical powers.... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. *gasp*

    I always suffer physical pains when I hear someone has not read all the Harry Potter books.

    *fanning self*

    Yeah, Dumbledore rocks. I could see you really working the hat and cloak. :)

    ReplyDelete