We are busy making preparations for our newest addition... a motorcycle. And believe it or not, this was not my idea. We are facing transportation issues between 3 adults with 3 agendas, so I jumped on Mike early yesterday morning and suggested we buy a moped for him (since he doesn't have to use the highway to go to work and it requires no extra licensing). He said that if we're going that direction we might as well do it right the first time and just get a motorcycle. Ok.
Mike has already read the state manual, and is looking to register for a surprisingly inexpensive state-sponsored training program. I have ripped "for sale" flyers off the bulletin boards on campus, and we've circled a few possibilities in the newspaper. We rode around town checking out bike dealers just for fun, and Gavin was so excited. "Oh mom," he says, "I need a motorcycle. We buy one now." He ran around patting all the silver and yellow bikes affectionately. He likes the sporty crotch rockets. He will learn.
Even if we do just get an affordable Honda instead of an Indian, I'm only a few weeks away from busting out my stolen Playboy model's leather jacket. Ha.
When is the baby shower?
ReplyDeletethat's an excellent idea. We could have puu puus and make Mike give everyone rides around the block.
ReplyDelete"Oh mom," he says, head tilted back rapturously, "I need a motorcycle. We buy one now."
ReplyDeleteHAHA! Your son is so awesome. . . I wanna meet him!
Is Mike into the cruiser type or the sporty crotch rocket type? An ex once described his Kawasaki Vulcan (a cruiser, which he aptly named "Spock"--just for you sci-fi-ers) as riding a recliner around! While I was first afraid to ride along, I have to agree, it was quite comfortable!
My motorcycle lingo is still in it's infancy, but I believe a cruiser is what we prefer. I used to ride around with a couple Marines on crotch rockets, and while those are great for obnoxiously titillating the driver with thigh-squeezes, they are embarrassing to be seen on.
ReplyDeleteHere's the bike we're looking at today (well, not this very one, but the same make/model/year):
1983 Honda Shadow (um, I think)