Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Heavenly Choir

The day got worse, then surprised us all. I received a letter from the university about the Children's Center. They wanted $2000 a semester for day care. Every day, from 8am - 5pm. I only need two mornings a week, I don't want him there all day, and I couldn't afford it anyway. Gavin does not turn 2 before September 1st, and couldn't be admitted, anyway. I crumpled up the letter and decided to move to Finland.

 My mother went to the dump with the crap from the back of the truck, in an effort to get the truck ready to ditch/sell/roll into the ravine. I gave up and plopped Gavin in front of Blue's Clues while I made dinner. The kitchen was hot, despite the rain. Just as I turned off the stove and called Mike down to dinner, the power went out. Mike wailed upstairs. I guess he didn't save his work. He came downstairs looking defeated. I dished him up a plate of beef curry. Outside, the neighbor children screamed and cried about the power because their video games crapped out. They flooded into the parking lot, instead. My mother came home to the powerless house, and we laughed a tired laugh and salvaged the beer and ice cream from the fridge. Mike picked up the bagpipe chanter and began his first lesson.And of course he took to it. He loved it. He worked through the lesson book. Gavin danced. It's just like Mike to be really good at things the first time he tries them. First the Scottish country dancing, then the Highland dancing, now bagpipes. The man is a Scot. 

When the power came on, I cheered and did a little dance. On cue, the cd player kicked on behind me to play a victory soundtrack, which made my mother laugh. Gavin clapped and danced along.

The truck is dead, the parking lot trees are doomed, and the milk is warm, but we've got all the important stuff (and leftover curry).

No comments:

Post a Comment