Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Hibiscuits

Painting hibiscus over here. I’ll probably sit down for a few more hours and try to ruin these things before calling it quits.



In my latest act of transfiguration, I turned $300 into a pottery wheel. Currency is the oldest and laziest form of wizardry — but just because you know how it’s done doesn’t mean it isn’t magic. As soon as I figure out what kind of clay and glazes we need, this ceramics operation will be in motion. I’m going to make a flower vase the cats can’t knock over, and a coffee cup you could use in hand to hand combat. The kids can fill the house with bowls and little mangled figurines. Making things is important.

Also there are MORE CHICKS. 

Two feral hens got into one of the flower pots behind my mom’s house and shared a clutch of 21 eggs. 14 of those hatched successfully, and the two moms realized they didn’t know how to get the nuggets out of the big pot. We had to scoop out handfuls of fluff balls and deal with the dead ones while the mother hens tried to sort out whose chicks were whose. In the end they settled on walking around together while the chicks run back and forth between them.


Adorable.

Especially because they’re not my problem.

3 comments:

  1. Once again, your art is blowing my mind. Oh god. That phrase dates me so badly. And yet- it's fitting.
    I love the co-mothering hens. I've never had that happen before but I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ceramics operation sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that co-mothering isn't too common with Hens and that's why some Babies are killed if they aren't that Hen's Chicks. Glad to hear you have some Sister Wife Hens. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete