(Still can’t upload blog pictures on my phone, which is all I’m armed with for this trip, but I’m on instagram as tempestpilot, for people who want to see what I’m painting/eating this weekend.)
You guys, Washington is the best. I rode on a boat, and saw a seagull trip and fall off the pier. And there are crows, and they say “caw caw” just like they don’t know that’s just a thing people say when they’re pretending to be crows. My cottage has a fake wood stove that just bursts into flame from time to time. The leaves are yellow and red, and so are people’s trousers. People wear TROUSERS here.
If I see a squirrel, I’m done for, I’m not going home.
Update 1: I SAW A SQUIRREL. It was savaging a tree outside the art gallery. The whole tree. The owner was trying to talk to me and I just went walleyed and leaned over to stare at the squirrel. Points for not screaming “SQUIRREL” like an asshole.
Update 2: I am eating at a fermented foods restaurant, because people in Washington like to eat fermented things, I guess. So do I, probably. I started with a draft cider and it broke the keg just before filling to the top so I got half of it for freeeee.
Update 3: it is getting dark at 4pm, wtf. I am going to die walking back to my cottage full of fermented Welsch rarebit in the dark.
Update 4: I did not die. I saw rabbits frolicking in the autumn leaves. And a whole entire deer.
You don't have squirrels and rabbits and crows and deer?! I had no idea! (Will never forget taking my spouse to Hawaii for the first time. We were walking down the street when suddenly she started squeaking, Bananas in the trees! Bananas in the trees! Hahaha, a favorite memory -- hadn't known her voice could go that high.) Looking forward to hearing about all the extraordinary things you encounter. We have lots of squirrels and crows and deer in our northern CA back yard, but I would go apeshit if I saw a bunny, and I'm thrilled whenever I glimpse our neighborhood skunk and fox. (In my mind there is only one of each.)
ReplyDeleteWe don’t have seagulls, either! Our sea birds don’t land, they are massive dark-winged travelers who fly for their whole lives. We sort of do have deer but they are hardened criminals and only live on Molokai, evading hunters. Instead of adorable woodland creatures, we have rats and mongooses and cockroaches. Close enough.
ReplyDeleteI’m holding out for a raccoon. I should knit a tiny sweater and hang it outside to attract one.