Art modeling is a lot of thinking and noticing. The classical music in the dim room,with the patter and scratch of charcoal on paper. The room is cold except for the cone light above my shoulder. I can see the tiny hairs on my arm as I look down at the nail driven into the wooden platform. The nail has a happy face scratched into it from years of wear. I think about making a graphic novel. I mentally cast the people I know as character models. I think about my medium, pen and ink or wacom tablet? I would need a G5 for sure; my poor old iMac is bogged down with family photos and book illustrations, my version of Photoshop is outdated. My wrist has gone numb. I shift my weight a fraction, leaning into my hip and allowing a hot rush of blood to pour into my hand, prickling my fingertips. My cold white hand turns pink. I think about my Christmas cards. My inlaws love Sears portraits. It would be cost-effective to just button up my pride and bring the family down for a sitting. I could stick those cheesy 5x6 portraits into those holiday cards with the windows cut out and send them en mass to the mainland folks. Or perhaps I could make a drawing to decorate the cards. My sore knee shoots pain up my leg. I snort hot breath onto my shoulder and hold very still. My skin under the light has a sheen of sweat; my skin in shadow has goose bumps.
beepbeepbeepbeepbeep Time's up.
When I arrived home, chilled to the bone, I put on the kettle and mixed up three cups of hot cocoa. I poured in eggnog flavored coffee creamer. Piled them up with mini marshmallows. Mike and I sat on the couch, watching our little boy lick the melting marshmallows off the rim of his cocoa, obviously enjoying it. Some things in life are just perfect.
As much as those cheesy Sears portraits might set off the irony detector in my head, I have to admit that I'm one of those mainland folks that would love to have a nice picture of you guys :)
ReplyDeleteThen again, you do share so me beautiful photos on this site. So I'd be happy either way. And besides, artwork is always special, to me at least.
Aw, I love your new avatar! Maybe I'll compromise by doing a still-life and including a cheesy portrait studio picture.
ReplyDeleteOr maybe take it further by taking a cool non-studio portrait for the non-precious moments crowd. :)
I'm glad you identify me as part of the non-precious moments crowd. Or at least I hope you do ;)
ReplyDeleteI don't know, can I even send christmas cards to canada? Don't you guys celebrate "noel" or "solstice" or something?
ReplyDelete;)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteDon't forget your umlaut, it's Noël :) But believe it or not, Torontonians say "Christmas." Don't know where that antiquated notion came from.
ReplyDeleteIt's all a moot point, though, because by Christmas I'll be back in good old Suffern.
Hooray.
I noticed the air was much crisper this morning. I feel Christmas approaching! We will soon be able to wear sweaters outside of Bilger 319 and Hamilton Library!! Yippeeeeee!!!
ReplyDeleteYep! At class last night I was freezing. I had to hop up and down to keep warm in my leather jacket outside, the rain was billowing in sheets across campus like snow, and all the lights were ringed with foggy halos. Holidays!!
ReplyDelete